Do you know how to check a piece of pottery for hidden cracks? It's an easy sound test you can do.
- If it's two pieces, e.g. a cookie jar, take the lid off.
- Put the pottery on a solid surface or cradle in one arm.
- Using your index finger and thumb -- flick your finger onto the piece. Imagine you are shooting marbles!
- The resulting sound will be a clear ringing bell sound if the pottery has no cracks and a very dead thud if here is a crack.
- Master your "flick" at home and next time you are out shopping, it will only take you moment to check out the pottery.