Crackers can be easily handmade with a cardboard tube, some colored papers and a few little treasures to put inside. But don't forget the paper hat!
Kimpton talks about the lavish artwork and the many themes a Christmas cracker has had over the years. The boxes are gorgeously illustrated, and in at least one case, by an artist who later became well-known.
Kimpton has also written an illustrated book on the subject available on his web site The King of Crackers.
Christmas Cracker Tins
Although they may not be the deal real, they're pretty fun to use as a "cracker" or add to the tin collection.
Although these are modern tins, they are reminiscent of the antique British biscuit tins so highly coveted by collectors today. But even modern British tins are popular among collectors, especially ones that are a little bit different -- such as the "disgruntled employee" Huntley & Palmer's tin.
Create Your Own Crackers
- Our Rubber Stamping Guide suggests doing away with those cheap commercial made Crackers and make your own personalized crackers for every member of the family.
How to Make Christmas Crackers (Bon Bons)
- You probably never thought about sewing a set of crackers, but why not? Unfortunately if you're looking for candy, it won't be in these. The potpourri-filled crackers will make the house smell great.
Sew a Set of Crackers
- A cracker primer from our British Food Guide
- The Miniatures site on About shows how to make really cute crackers for your dollhouse or miniature collections.
Make Miniature Crackers
- Fill your handmade crackers with personal goodies -- something that they will really love to get and use.
Martha Stewart's Clown Christmas Cracker Design
Buying Christmas CrackersIt all depends on what side of the ocean one is on when looking for Christmas Crackers. In the States, online shopping will offer the best selection.
- Old English Crackers
This store sells ready to use, filled crackers and supplies to create your own crackers. Even the little poppers to create the noise!
- English Tea Store
Loads of designs to choose.
- Williams Sonoma
Usually a few selections available.
Amazon usually is my go-to place when I can't find it elsewhere. They have loads of Christmas Crackers available.