In the Beginning:
The company was started in 1936 by Bernard S. Purinton after he purchased the East Liverpool Pottery Company, but the company didn't start production until 1939. Purinton Pottery was originally located in Wellsville, Ohio.
Move to Shippenville:
The company was relocated to Shippenville, Pennsylvania and started firing there in December 1941. Several years later the company opened a second plant in Tionesta, Pennsylvania.
Everything from piggy banks to dinnerware. Purinton Pottery Company also produced pieces for Napco (with molds supplied by Napco) and teapots for the McCormick Tea Company.
Purinton Pottery is well-known by cookie jar collectors for their Howdy Doody head jar that can sell for as much as $400 - $700.
Closed in 1959:
The company closed doors in 1959.