The Bottom Line
- Considered the Bible by experts and collectors alike.
- Over 2000 clear color photographs
- Complete alphabetical list of book titles
- Visual and complete explanations on how to date Little Golden Books, as well as figuring out the edition number.
- Loved the pictorials for assessing conditions and how it affects prices.
- Alphabetical title listings make for easy and quick lookups.
- Fun Fact: The first twelve Little Golden Books were released in 1942 and sold 1.5 million copies in first five months!
Guide Review - Warman's Little Golden Books Identification and Price Guide
Steve Santi has long been considered the expert on Little Golden Books and his price guide lives up to this status. It has everything -- prices, pictures and history.
According to Santi, the history of Golden Books starts long before their initial release in 1942. Western Publishing got it's start in 1907 and over the years produced children's books, games and products. But it was the search for an affordable book that children could handle and read that lead to the much-loved Little Golden Books. Their popularity can be measured in the numbers sold -- 1.5 million in five months!
Although collectors always want to know the "value" of their items, in this book values are not what first caught my eye. It was the history of the books, the pictorial method of assessing condition, and the stories about the different series that I particularly enjoyed. For instance, I didn't realize how many different series of books were under the Little Golden Book umbrella, Santi's book helps one understand the differences.
Shown are the first 12 Little Golden Books sold in 1942, most are still familiar titles.
- Three Little Kittens
- Bedtime Stories
- The Alphabet Z - Z
- Mother Goose
- Prayers for Children
- The Little Red Hen
- Nursery Songs
- The Poky Little Puppy
- The Golden Book of Fairy Tales
- Baby's Book
- The Animals of Farmer Jones
- This Little Piggy
Warman's Little Golden Books is not only a resource that will be used numerous times, but also a book that's enjoyable to read. The memories alone are worth it.