1. Home

Poll: When do you take down the Christmas Decorations?

By December 31, 2013

I love everything about the winter holiday season from the smiles and kindness on strangers faces, to the smells of cooking in the kitchen. I love the colors of Christmas, sounds of jingle bells on the street, music in the stores, scented candles, the nip in the air and, of course, the decorations.

So I'm always slightly surprised to find out some people "get rid of" all reminders of the holiday the day after Christmas. What about you?

Take my Christmas "Un"-Decorating Poll, also please feel free to leave additional comments at the end of this blog.

Oklahoma Theme Tree

Comments

December 30, 2007 at 4:21 am
(1) Barb R says:

One year I left the main tree up til August, my hubby couldn’t understand why I took it down. It was easy to see what I had and what I “needed”. At least I beat my friend who left her Disney tree up til Sept. Enjoy, thanks for the blog. Barb

December 30, 2007 at 9:53 am
(2) collectibles says:

Actually I hadn’t thought about it that way — as way to know what is needed, etc. Great reason to keep it up!

January 2, 2008 at 10:53 pm
(3) Christie says:

I’m enjoying mine too much to take it down early this year. Since you have inspired me to start collecting = I may wait until Easter.

January 3, 2008 at 12:11 pm
(4) collectibles says:

Christie.. that’s great! Mine might be up that long because I broke two ornaments taking down some stuff and now I’m afraid to touch them!

January 7, 2009 at 10:05 am
(5) agness says:

I love all the lights of Christmas. We left the tree up for three days with just the lights on it. I convinced my husband to leave some lights up on the porch and I have lights in the bathroom and in the stairwell to the basement. I love the festive look. We just call it decorative lighting now!

January 7, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(6) Marie says:

I just took down the Christmas cards we received. I’m ever so slowly taking decorations down bit by bit. I did decide this morning to do something I’ve always wanted to do. I’m leaving one tree up (on our front porch) and I’ll decorate it for each holiday/season. We’ll see how it goes. Like you, Barb, I just love everything about the Christmas season and plan on enjoying it as long as possible.

January 7, 2009 at 1:56 pm
(7) chuckles11 says:

It is sort of a tradition here. Put things up the day after Thanksgiving, and take down New Years day with out fail.

August 19, 2009 at 12:59 am
(8) christmas decoration lights says:

Christmas is the festival of lights, joys and sweets. Animated outdoor christmas decrotaion looking flashy and eye catching. Baically the lights plays game on the picture and these lights says you that today is christmas.i love this festival.

December 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm
(9) Frank Duffey says:

I usually take my Christmas Decorations down on New Years Day. However this year I was thinking of taking them down today. I live alone so there is not any reason to keep them up after Christmas Day. I did some research and found out the correct answer.
“Twelfth Night was the night when the Three Wise Men visited Baby Jesus Christ in his stable in Bethlehem bringing him the three gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. It took them 12 days to find baby Jesus, by following the Star. This period is known as the 12 days of Christmas and is why Christmas decorations are taken down on the 6th January.

December 27, 2010 at 7:28 pm
(10) Carly says:

Whoops. I already pulled mine down today (dec 28th) lights, tree, garlands and all because I went on a cleaning spree. I didnt know to take it down on the 12th day of Christmas. I guess next year they are staying up until the 7th January. But then how does that explain putting them up the day after Thanksgiving?? I just decided to keep mine up for the month.

December 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm
(11) Gail says:

My husbands birthday is Jan. 11. We have always left it up at least through his birthday but some years later.

December 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm
(12) Gina C-P says:

Usually on January 6th, the 12th Day Of Christmas although sometimes we leave it up until mid-January. Eldest daughter’s birthday is January 16th and we would just leave the lights and add items she likes, so it becomes a Birthday Tree for her.

December 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(13) Sharon says:

I leave our tree up until Epiphany or 12th night in honor of my Ukrainian Grandmother who celebrated the orthodox Christmas holiday. They got their gifts then, when the wise man brought theirs.

December 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(14) Carolann says:

Usually not in a hurry but since the (HALF move) house seems too small with all the boxes so took it down last night after we had our Christmas that day. Still a few things to tuck away but but suppose hubby did that today.

January 2, 2012 at 2:30 am
(15) Barbara Armo says:

I love the idea of lights in the bathroom, but never enuf outlets in ” the smallest room”. I would definitely leave them up for the sheer glamor factor. We don’t have a tree, as I grew tired of never having any help past getting it thru the door. However, we do have a “festivus pole,” which is a pillar in the living room. It is covered with semi-tacky prelit garland all year long. When the Xmas stuff comes off it, I leave all the bird ornaments thru-out the year, ’cause I love birds. The cats have more or less stopped going after them, at least.

As for outside lights, I think of them as a winter festival of lights feature to dispell the gloom. Today, New Years, I removed the red ribbons and candy canes and left the giant snowflakes and lights. Heck, soon it will be Valentines’ Day, so I might leave the red ones out until then! Replace with green for St Patricks?

For those people who rip down their decorations right away, I say,”Bah. Humbug!” What are they thinking? My one friend actually rewinds her lights onto the same plastic frames they arrived on. I have such a devil of a time getting them off in the first place, that I simply put them into plastic bags to separate them afterwards, if they still work. A little OCD goes a long way.

December 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm
(16) Diane says:

My Mother always said it was BAD LUCK to have the christmas tree up when the new year begins! So mine is always down before New Years Day , just to be safe. : )

December 26, 2012 at 7:52 pm
(17) Susie says:

One minute past Thanksgiving, the family Christmas decorating and music begin. This is my daughter’s idea. The tree has to be taller than my son, the oldest, and rounder than my daughter can reach around. It stays up until the weekend after they go back to school. The tree rests peacefully on the front porch until the Christmas elves come to take it to the North Pole, where they turn the trees into next year’s magic.
Though the kids are grown with kids of their own, they still call to ask if the elves have picked up the tree yet. Magical!